On Sunday, August 31, 1952, Sandia Dog obedience Club held its very first AKC Licensed Obedience Trial. Dogs, handlers, and a judge gathered outdoors in Roosevelt Park at the very civilized hour of 10 am to 6 pm. Mr. D.D. Brodie from San Marino, California, judged all 50 entries.
A total of 38 exhibitors entered the trial for a whopping cost of $4.25, with second entries costing $2.00.
Unregistered dogs paid a listing fee of $25. It was even possible to telegraph entries to the Trial Secretary, although only one entry was permitted per telegram.
Interestingly, in addition to the standard Novice A and B, Open A and B, and Utility (with no split into A and B at the time), the club offered Graduate Novice, Brace, and Team. The trial awarded prizes for all class placements and groups, and several special trophies were offered. The High-in-Trial was open to ALL classes and was actually won by a Cocker Spaniel, Major’s Merry Mark CD, from the Graduate Novice class.
The variety of the breeds of dog entered equaled what we see in today’s trials. There were, of course, no Border Collies that dominate the rings today, but plenty of Poodles competed. Some of the other breeds included a Chow Chow, which took first in Novice B; a boxer, which took second, and a Scottish Terrier. Other popular breeds were German Shepherds and Cocker Spaniels. Two Dachshunds were entered as well as a Chihuahua and a Belgian Sheepdog from Los Alamos. A Pekingese, Hoi-Nai, qualified in Novice A with a 195 score.
The original author of this look back is unknown.