Click on any class in the calendar for more information. If you want to see only one type of classes (such as UPCOMING or AGILITY), click on the appropriate category just below the calendar.
The objective of this tracking class is to lay the foundation for the dog and handler team to work ‘nose down’ in the tracking environment. Dogs naturally ‘track’ scents left by other animals and people. The tracking class will (1) help the handler begin to develop skills to read the dog and successfully work on blind tracks, and (2) help the dog learn to follow a scent to the completion of a track.
This is an eight week course
Start date: October 9, 2021 at Hoffmantown Church east parking lot, 8:00 AM
End date: December 11, 2021 (Possibly December 18, 2021)
Registrar: Gloria Napper-Owen
(I will be out of town a great deal in September. It will be best to email me.)
Special Note: There will not be class on November 27th as we will be plotting for the SDOC VST test. We may also not meet on the weekends of the SDOC scent work and obedience trials, if enough people (including me) are entered in the trials.
What to bring to the first class?
- Your dog’s vaccination records
- LOTS and LOTS of small, smelly high value treats. (If you want to use hot dogs, cut the hot dog lengthwise into quarters, then cut small pieces width wise across the hot dog.) You may want your dog to forego breakfast before class!
- A gallon of distilled water
- A clean one gallon yard sprayer. Please do not bring a sprayer that has been used to spray your yard! A new sprayer is best.
- Gather old socks, gloves, winter caps, ear muffs, plastic lids, small metal tins, old wallets to use as tracking articles
- A 6-10 foot leash
- Eventually you will want to purchase a harness, but not immediately necessary
- Eventually you will need to purchase a 30-40 foot leash, but it is not immediately necessary
- Download the tracking rules and regulations from akc.org
- A tracking log to write notes about your dog’s performance
Hoffmantown Church east parking lot
Please use a mail-in class application
Important reminder: All SDOC classes are limited in size. Your completed and signed application, full payment, and proof of vaccinations must reach the appropriate SDOC registrar a minimum of one day prior to the class start date and prior to the time the class limit is reached. Receipt of the application does not guarantee a place in the class. Emailed applications are not accepted. To avoid misplacement, please staple your check to your application.
If you have any questions concerning the classes, please contact the appropriate registrar:
Obedience, Rally, Conformation, Freestyle, Tricks, and Scent Work:
SDOC c/o Betty Pearson 505-898-2706, email firstname.lastname@example.org
SDOC c/o Stephanie Kouretsos 505-828-9660, email email@example.com
SDOC c/o Gloria Napper-Owen, email firstname.lastname@example.org